March 28, 2009

As Women's History Month Comes To An End...

From Wednesday, March 25

I am almost embarrassed to admit that I lived in south Florida for two years and did not know that the city we now call Miami was founded by a Woman. YEP! Ms. Julia Tuttle, a citrus grower from Ohio- my home state- founded the city after The Great Freeze of 1894. Prior to that, the area was inhabited by the Tequesta Indians and later taken over by the Spanish.




Julia Tuttle, Founder of Miami

Beyond women's history, Florida, the 27th state, has had a long history of Indian/ European and Indian/ American conflict. Go figure! Another celebrated Floridian is Seminole Chief Osceola who led a small group in The Second Seminole War against the United States... I don't remember talking about that one much in history class.


Another new, but obvious find on the beach was the Holocaust Memorial. Please don't miss this the next time you go. In speaking with others around me, I learned that the one in Santa Monica is quite impressive, as well. The hatred and cruelty of the Jewish Holocaust is nearly unfathomable. I was deeply disturbed as I thought more about how people a needlessly persecuted, even today, for being different.

So, we've touched on history and politics, now what about the community service? *crickets*

It's hard on South Beach, with all of the beautiful people... but I did my part... I think. If you've been to SoBe, you know the guys who walk around with the big snakes and let you take pictures. I brought my adventurous self, so I stopped them and learned that the money was used to support endangered species. So I gave them my money and took a picture with not one, but two snakes and Alas! My service to man, er, animal kind was complete! I'll do better next time, as I also pray the money goes where it says.


The rest of the week includes watching the sunrise while running on the beach: God's light, His voice, His touch, His glory... almost too much to witness, but I am so glad that I did. This trip to the beach makes the first time that I have ever considered living near the water. When I did 10 years ago, I wasn't that impressed, now I want it back!

Spa Day is coming soon... where will it be?

No comments:

Post a Comment